Mechanical Ventilation- Terminology
Volume controlled ventilation
We can put a certain volume of air into the patient with each breath in mechanical ventilation
Pressure controlled ventilation
We can put air into the patient until the pressure reaches a certain value.
We can decide how often we give the patient a breath each minute, or how often the patient is initiating their own breath each minute, or a combination of the two.
In other words the oxygen concentration we give to the patient, from 21% (room air) to 100%.
Maximum pressure in the proximal airway at the end of inspiration
Equilibrium pressure reached if the expiratory tubing is occluded at the end of inspiration. It is a surrogate for end-inspiratory alveolar pressure
What triggers the breath?
Do we have the patient decide when they want to breathe, or do we have the ventilator decide when to initiate a breath. Or indeed a combination of the two? Is it ventilator controlled or patient controlled?
- Peak and Plateau Pressure
- AC versus SIMV mode
- Positive End Expiratory Pressure (PEEP)
- Increase the rate or tidal volume?
- Phases of a breath- I:E ratio and cycle time
- Ventilation screen- what do those numbers mean?
- Pressure Support
- Modes of ventilation I
- Modes of ventilation II
- Physiologic effects
- Physiologic goals
- How do I describe how my patients ventilation?
- Trigger, Limit and Cycle
- Pressure support ventilation graphs
- ARDS and Proning
- 6 ways to be better with Bag-Valve-Mask
- Phase Variables
- Airway Pressure Release Ventilation (APRV)
- Pressure Volume Loop
- Lung compliance in volume controlled ventilation
- Pressure/Volume/Flow graphs
- A-a gradient
- Goals and Indications
- Anatomy of the Endotracheal Tube
- Lung Compliance
- Ventilation/Perfusion V/Q matching
- Ventilator Induced Lung Injury (VILI)
- Ventilator Associated Pneumonia (VAP)
- Phase variables...again...
Guidelines for the management of tracheal intubation in critically ill adults
Having read the guidelines I made these infographics. They are FREE. Just let me know your email address and they will be sent to you.