I was asked on Twitter what I thought were the qualities of a good critical care outreach nurse and how I thought practitioners were viewed by nurses and doctors. I thought I would share my answer. Happy to receive feedback. I am sure there are those out there with their own opinions.
- Systematic approach to patient assessment.
- Understanding of the ‘warning’ signs of impending sickness
- Be prepared to challenge poor practice, by all professions
- Instigate appropriate treatment to the levels of ones ability
- Ensure treatment plans are followed up and that they have made a difference
- Works well within a team under pressure, calmness being the most important
- Desire to constantly learn, and to utilise various methods to do so
- I always ask at interview what the candidate could do to learn if there was no budget provided. You would be amazed how many people don’t mention the internet or even a library but instead continue to wait to be spoon fed information
- Look for new ways of working
Originally posted 2014-01-07 21:12:48. Republished by Blog Post Promoter