A prospective randomised trial comparing insertion success rate and incidence of catheterisation-related complications for subclavian venous catheterisation using a thin-walled introducer needle or a catheter-over-needle technique
- Kim, B. G. Kim, Y. J. Lim, Y. T. Jeon, J. W. Hwang, H. C. Kim, Y. H. Choi and H. P. Park
Gavin Denton and I discuss this piece of research which tries to establish which needle is best for inserting the central venous catheter into the subclavian vein. The results seem fairly clear in this one. I for one am going to be sticking to my current practice.
Gavin also kindly broke down the research as a quick summary.
In patient requiring central venous subclavian catheterisation, does a needle over catheter technique increase the success rate of catheterisation and reduce compilations compared to a needle wire approach.
- Two centre.
- Single blinded.
- Randomised (computer randomised).
- Assignment sealed until the day of surgery.
- Data collected by third party who was blinded to assignment.
- Power calculated on a 19% incidence of complications.
- 80% power calculation, a p value 0.05. N=188 per group, to identify 10% difference.
- 10% extra recruited to account for drop out (only two dropped out). N=214.
Elective patients in two South Korean hospitals.
- Right subclavian central venous catheterisation.
- Needle guide wire versus needle canula technique.
- Two anaesthetist in each hospital performed all canulations, and all had practiced at least 100 central venous canulations.
- Either landmark or ultrasound technique could be used.
- The landmark technique was clearly described.
- Primary outcome (catheter related complications). Needle-wire 5.8% vs 15.5% needle-catheter, p.value 0.001.
- First pass success. Needle-wire 35.4% vs 62% needle-catheter, p.value 0.001
- Overall canulation success, needle-wire 97% vs 92% needle-catheter, p.value 0.046.
- Haemotoma, needle-wire 3.8% vs 10.2% needle-catheter, p.value 0.012.
- Time to canulation, 122 seconds needle-wire vs 101 seconds needle-catheter, p.value 0.002.
Needle-catheter technique causes more complications compared to the needle-wire technique.
- Single blinded, double blinding would be impossible.
- Experience of clinicians.
- Minimum number of clinicians limit confounding.
- Well powered with minimal dropout.
- Low BMI in study patients, may limit generalisability to other populations.
- Elective population, may limit generalisability to patients of greater acuity.
- May be under powered to detect differences between techniques when ultrasound is used.
- Does not clearly state if patients were randomised to ultrasound.
The traditional teaching that needle-catheter central venous subclavian cannulation is easier and has less complications compared to a need wire technique is incorrect and is in fact inferior. Using medcalc and the available figures odds ratio for complications using the needle-catheter is 2.74, absolute risk increase of 8%, and a number needed to harm of 11 assuming a 95% confidence interval.
|Podcast Link||Podcast Episode Name|
|CCP Podcast 001||Introduction and Interview with Teresa Chinn from @WeNurses|
|CCP Podcast 002||Twitter, Google Hang Outs and Speakpipe|
|CCP Podcast 003||Interview with Robin Davies, Lead Resuscitation Officer|
|CCP Podcast 004||Great Medical Podcasts to Listen To|
|CCP Podcast 005||Chat with Ken Spearpoint|
|CCP Podcast 006||Chat with David Barton|
|CCP Podcast 007||Chat with Bethan Bishop|
|CCP Podcast 008||Chat with Claire Flatt|
|CCP Podcast 009||SMACC Me Hard!|
|CCP Podcast 010||Cricoid Pressure: Do it? Do it right? Or do it at all?|
|CCP Podcast 011||Social Media...Use it, don't abuse it!|
|CCP Podcast 012||Get my feet to the floor...please!|
|CCP Podcast 013||Mind and Body|
|CCP Podcast 014||How Much Fluid?|
|CCP Podcast 015||The Power of Practitioners?|
|CCP Podcast 016||The Strong Arm of Eric...YouTube Learning.|
|CCP Podcast 017||Simon is one of the First 2 Act|
|CCP Podcast 018||Mechanical Ventilation...|
|CCP Podcast 019||SepsisPAM analysed. Gav and Jonathan try to work it out!|
|CCP Podcast 020||More Power to Practitioners|
|CCP Podcast 021||Jesse's Show|
|CCP Podcast 022||ACPs Education, Education, Education.|
|CCP Podcast 023||Wash Your Mouth Out!!|
|CCP Podcast 024||Mechanical Ventilation...the basics|
|CCP Podcast 025||Teresa Gets A Gong!|
|CCP Podcast 026||Crew Resource Management...What?|
|CCP Podcast 027||Crew Resource Management Continued|
|CCP Podcast 028||James DuCanto Talks Intubation|
|CCP Podcast 029||Mechanical Ventilation...Phases of the Breath|
|CCP Podcast 030||SMACC it!|
|CCP Podcast 031||Lifesaver to Lightsabre!|
|CCP Podcast 032||Hello South Africa!|
|CCP Podcast 033||Calling all students...|
|CCP Podcast 034||Mechanical Ventilation...Types of breath|
|CCP Podcast 035||5 Tips for Better Presentations|
|CCP Podcast 036||Head of Bed Elevation and Reflux|
|CCP Podcast 037||How to Make Ultrasound Easier!|
|CCP Podcast 038||WeNurses Tweet Chat About Advanced Practitioners|
|CCP Podcast 039||Early Mobilisation- Get Them Moving!|
|CCP Podcast 040||Why Won't We Change?|
|CCP Podcast 041||PTSD in Critical Care|
|CCP Podcast 042||What angle should I sit my patient at?|
|CCP Podcast 043||Why won't my patient sleep?|
|CCP Podcast 044||Helping the ITU patient sleep|
|CCP Podcast 045||Simple Things to Help them Sleep|
|CCP Podcast 046||PTSD in Critical Care II|
|CCP Podcast 047||Advanced Critical Care Practitioner|
|CCP Podcast 048||RSI- Which Drug?|
|CCP Podcast 049||Central Venous Catheter- Which Needle?|
|CCP Podcast 050||LeoPARDS Trial|
|CCP Podcast 051||ICU Follow Up Clinics|
|CCP Podcast 052||Chronic Critical Illness|
|CCP Podcast 053||Nutrition Guidelines
|CCP Podcast 054||Nutrition Guidelines at ICSSOA 2016
|CCP Podcast 055||Papers of the Month
|CCP Podcast 056||Got to help them cough
|CCP Podcast 057||Papers of the Month
|CCP Podcast 058||Early Mobilisation. Do we know it works?
|CCP Podcast 059||Surviving the ICU: The Patient Experience.
|CCP Podcast 060||My Critical Care Patient Can't Swallow! Why?
|CCP Podcast 061||Papers of the Month: March 2017
|CCP Podcast 062||Escalate the Patient!
|CCP Podcast 063||The Two Jonnys Do Twitter: May 2017
|CCP Podcast 064||Papers of the Month May 2017
|CCP Podcast 065||ACCP Presentation- What, Why, How?
|CCP Podcast 066||The Two Jonnys Do Twitter: May 2017 (2)
|CCP Podcast 067||Papers of the Month June 2017
|CCP Podcast 068||The Two Jonnys Do Twitter: June 2017
|CCP Podcast 069||DasSMACC Day 1
|CCP Podcast 070||DasSMACC Day 2
|CCP Podcast 071||DasSMACC Day 3
|CCP Podcast 072||The Two Jonnys Do Twitter: July 2017
|CCP Podcast 072||Bariatric Surgery in the Management of the Obese Patient
|CCP Podcast 074||Lung Ultrasound with SonoPhysio
|CCP Podcast 075||ACP Conference October 2017
|CCP Podcast 076||The Two Jonnys Septmber 2017
Originally posted 2016-09-15 21:14:37. Republished by Blog Post Promoter